A Day in My Life? Please….

I was recently poking around online for possible blog topics and found a suggestion for doing an entry that chronicles a day in my life.  I had to chuckle at that one.  My routine is so cobbled together right now that no one day would ever give a reader an accurate depiction of my routine.  For that, you would need a week.  So here we have it, a week in the life of Joyce.  In case you wondered.

Monday…Up at 6 a.m.  (or so) …shower, blow-dry, start the makeup, feed A_Woman_Riding_a_Unicycle_and_Juggling_Work_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_110323-151024-856053the cat, drink the coffee, and generally tip-toe around so as not to wake the 2-year-old.  Wake up the six-year-old by 7:10 a.m., who will typically protest and cling to the covers because he detests school.  After much coaxing, he will put on the clothes that I have laid out for him, and then come down the stairs for his breakfast.  The husband starts stirring around this time, and will almost always get up to help me make sure that the boy’s backpack is in order, help put his shoes on, and so forth.  Once he is out the door – the bus comes right to our driveway at 7:40 – I finish getting ready, pack my breakfast and lunch, and dress.  I am supposed to be to work by 8:00, but lately that has turned into 8:40, which my very understanding boss shrugs off.

My husband does not go to work until 11 a.m. most days, so he is home with our girl in the mornings.  On Mondays, my mother comes to my house to watch our girl once he goes to work.

On Mondays I leave work by 5:15 p.m. to make it home – a quick drive – in time to take my boy to his 5:45 karate class.  My mother has gotten him dressed in his uniform by the time I get home, has shoes on both of the kids, and has fed them some kind of snack.

At about 6:30 we get home from karate.  I feed the kids a quick dinner, and I might have a bowl of Raisin Bran.  Around this time I will do a little homework with the boy – an activity to which he is radically opposed, so there are usually tears or other outbursts.  Following that, I bathe them one at a time, and about the time I have them clean and bathed and back in the living room watching cartoons, my husband arrives…so about 8:30 or 9 p.m.

After my husband spends a little time with the children, I get them to bed.  The boy prefers I read him a story and then linger until he falls off to sleep, and I oblige.  When he is asleep, I get up and do my last few chores – setting up the coffee, washing dishes, making my lunch for the next day.  Then I’m off to bed…preferably by 10:30, but sometimes at 11.

Tuesday…Up around 6 a.m., doing the morning routine.  Get the boy off to school, myself off to work.  This is the day that my girl goes to spend the day with my in-laws, and my boy goes to after-school care.  Typically, either my mother-in-law will go to pick up my son from after-school care in the late afternoon, or I will when I get off work, and then I will go to eat dinner with my in-laws.

I get home with the kids around 7 p.m., when we commence with the evening scramble of bath, homework, and bed.

Wednesday…Up at 6 a.m., doing the morning routine.  On Wednesdays my mother comes again to my house.  Karate class is at 5:15 on Wednesday evenings, so she takes the kids, and I join them as soon as I can get away from work.  We get home at about 6 p.m. and do that bath, homework and bed thing.

Thursday…Morning routine, followed by my daughter going again to my in-laws’ for the day.  The evening is a repeat of Tuesday, where either I or my mother-in-law pick up my son, and we then have dinner together.  We go home for our evening routine, and then…bed.  By Thursday evenings, I am usually very, very tired.

Friday…This is where my week starts to relax a bit.  I work flex hours at work, meaning I skip the lunch hour, eating instead at my desk as I work, so that I can be off most Fridays.  I get up and get my son on the bus, and my husband leaves for work around 8 a.m. on this day.  This leaves me to play with my daughter, straighten up the house, maybe go out for groceries.  When she goes down for her nap, I may do a bit of cleaning and take a short nap myself.  I greet my son when he gets off the bus and try to have dinner waiting when my husband gets home…finally, a family meal!

Saturday…We try to keep these as free as we possibly can.  Often my husband and I will play “pass the kids” … one will watch the children while the other goes to do something.  I might go shopping or take my son to the library.  He might work in the yard to go to Home Depot.  We keep it leisurely.

Sunday…Church in the morning, lunch out with the in-laws, then home for a quick nap and then it’s a scurry to finish laundry, make a large Sunday dinner, and prep lunch foods for the next week.  Hubs and I might get an hour to sit on the couch and watch TV.  Then it’s bedtime, because on Monday, I hit the ground running.

As chaotic as this schedule may seem, it’s all I’ve known for several years.  I’m tired a lot, but at the same time I recognize that I have it better than most working mothers.  My daughter has never been to day care.  We have a tremendous amount of help from our parents.  My job is flexible.  The things I think are problems are really just inconveniences.

Some day maybe I will miss all this.  Today, I feel blessed.


About Joyce

40-year-old university advisor, 10-years married with two small children, trying to do it all and have it all and still manage the occasional social interaction through the wonderful world of blogging.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A Day in My Life? Please….

  1. Wow, my hat off to you! Good job Joyce for keeping that all straight! What kind of work do you do if you don’t mind me asking and how do you still manage to blog???!!!

  2. Joyce says:

    Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that I keep it all straight! I feel like my life is so unorganized and messy right now. My house is dirty and my car smells funny. I really have to struggle to stay positive some days. But today’s a good day 🙂

    I’m a university advisor. On a quiet day, I will work on my blog throughout the day as I do other things. That is why my output amounts to one or two blogs a week.

  3. Much of your schedule sounds very familiar but my kids are both in school now. My wife and I trade though. She handles the mornings as I am out early and I handle the night routine (most of it at least) as I get home earlier.

    • Joyce says:

      Oh yeah, you’re a teacher! You do have that early schedule. I’m sure that has it’s perks.

      In all this, the one thing I destest is homework time. My options are to sit with my son and try to get him to focus on homework while my 2-year-old runs amok, or I can wait until she’s in bed and by then he’s so tired he’s falling to pieces. This past summer I was every bit as happy not to have homework as he was.

  4. Joyce, you are one busy woman. I’m sure your family appreciates all that you do. I don’t envy that 6:00 AM wake up time though, lol.

    – K.

    • Joyce says:

      I’m up early than that if I want to exercise. But I decided that if I happen to wake up early, I would get up and exercise. If, on the other hand, I stayed asleep, my body needed the sleep and I wasn’t going to set the alarm any earlier to interfere with that 🙂

  5. Lu says:

    I’m exhausted just reading through that! Goodness me!
    You can tell I’m not a mother myself… I only get to play at parenting during school holidays when my two step-daughters descend. Talking of which, they arrive on Saturday. I am currently enjoying as much peace and quiet as I possibly can – the next 3 weeks will be 24-7… In South Africa, then the BIG overseas trip to Scotland (snow for Christmas – hopefully!)
    Sometimes I wish I could pack them off to school, then I remember we don’t have that “normal” routine. Sure does keep me on my toes..and their mother tongue is Afrikaans. Mine is not. It’s coming along, though 🙂

    • Joyce says:

      It sounds like you get the best of both worlds! Occasional excursions with the youngsters – plus having them around at Christmas to help with the merry-making – then back they go and you get to focus on wines and gardening. Win-win!

      • Lu says:

        Only I LIKE routines! There are NO routines during holiday time, cos it’s, well – holiday time! Mind you, I suspect the routines I would impose upon them, given half a chance would be potentially conflicting compared to their “other” routines. It’s not a bun-fight I want to entertain 😉

  6. Joyce says:

    I know just what you mean! I started having children much later – was 34 when I had my first – so I was quite established in my habits. Before they came along I didn’t appreciate anyone disrupting my bubble.

  7. Zanni Arnot says:

    Gosh, more of routine than I can ever imagine having! Our life seems so chaotic sometimes, and I think it is lack of routine. My husband works here and there, I work here and there and the kids fit in somewhere. Being at home with the baby and Elka has inspired a bit more of a routine, which I think has been good for us! x

    • Joyce says:

      For me, it’s a necessity! But I wish I were better at keeping up with it. Truth be told, sometimes my children are eating dinner rather late. And I keep a stash of frozen pizzas and chicken nuggets in the freezer so that a few nights I can make something quick. No one ever told me that motherhood would be racked with such guilt, but it is!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s